Path to Membership at the Unitarian Universalist Fellowship of Pottstown
The path to membership at UUFP is a very personal one. Visitors and guests come to us from many different backgrounds and have pursued different religious journeys. The search for spiritual truth and social justice are at the center of many people’s journeys. The UUFP welcomes prospective members and wishes them well on their spiritual path.
Membership in the UUFP is open to all individuals without regard to creed, faith, national origin, race or color, gender, sexual orientation, or physical abilities. Membership is open to any person fourteen years or older.
The UUFP requires that all prospective members observe the following steps to membership:
1. Attend a Membership Class.
Membership classes are held by the Minister. Classes include: Unitarian Universalist history; an explanation of what Unitarian Universalism means today; and what it means to be a member at UUFP. Participants are encouraged to share personal accounts of their religious journey.
2. Meet with the Minister or Board President.
Each new prospective member meets with either the Minister or the Board President to discuss his or her membership at UUFP. This meetng will include a review of the UUFP Bylaws, policies, and procedures, as well as ensuring the member has access to copies of these documents.
3. Meet with Finance Chair.
Before signing the Membership Book the prospective member will meet with Finance Chair to discuss his or her contribution. Members are expected to contribute financially to support the mission and vision of the congregation and to be good stewards of our resources, though there is no set amount people must contribute.
4. Read and agree to Abide by the UUFP Covenant.
The prospective member will read the UUFP covenant, which pertains to how we, as members, interact and behave with each other. Members are required to agree to abide by our covenant with one another.
IN THE PURSUIT OF TRUTH AND IN THE SPIRIT OF JUSTICE, WE UNITE IN COMPASSIONATE FELLOWSHIP AND SERVICE. WITH THE UU PRINCIPLES AS OUR GUIDE, WE COVENANT TO:
* UPHOLD A NURTURING COMMUNITY WHERE ALL ARE WELCOME IN THE SEARCH FOR INTELLECTUAL STIMULATION AND SPIRITUAL NOURISHMENT.
* PRESUME GOOD INTENTIONS, EVEN IN TIMES OF CONFLICT, AND GO BEYOND TOLERANCE TO UNDERSTANDING.
* CONSIDER CAREFULLY THE POTENTIAL RESULTS OF OUR WORDS AND ACTIONS, BEHAVING WITH KINDNESS AND RESPECT TOWARDS OTHERS.
*ENRICH OUR LIBERAL RELIGIOUS COMMUNITY BY ENCOURAGING DIVERSITY AMONG OUR MEMBERS AND EXEMPLIFYING AN OPEN MIND WITHIN THE LARGER COMMUNITY.
* CULTIVATE THE HEALTH OF THE CONGREGATION THROUGH SHARED MINISTRY, GIVING CHEERFULLY OF OURSELVES AS WE ARE ABLE, TO THE TASKS WE CHOOSE TOGETHER.
* SUPPORT ONE ANOTHER IN ALL PHASES OF LIFE.
* NURTURE THE GROWTH AND EDUCATION OF OUR CHILDREN WHO ARE AN INTEGRAL PART OF OUR COMMUNITY.
* HAVE FAITH IN OUR CHOSEN LEADERSHIP AND BE SUPPORTIVE OF THEM IN THEIR EFFORTS.
* HONOR OUR COLLECTIVE SPACE BY RESPECTING THE SANCTITY OF OUR BUILDING AND GROUNDS, AND THE GIFTS CONTAINED WITHIN.